Connection and lag issues can be caused by a variety of things. This guide can help solve general connectivity issues to the Hypixel Server.
General Solutions for Connection Issues
- Restart your Minecraft client.
- Change your Minecraft version (this guide will show you how).
- Restart your computer.
- Change game settings to lower graphic options.
- Remove any modifications currently installed, they may be causing an issue.
- Flush your Domain Name System (DNS).
- Go to your computer's search and look for "cmd" or command prompt.
- Open your Command Prompt and type "ipconfig /flushdns" and hit enter.
- Work in progress
- You most likely do not have a DNS cache issue, it may be a different problem.
- If you have tried the above solutions without any success, run an MTR and report it in the Hypixel Support Team. There, we will try to help you figure out what the issue is. To run an MTR, please look at this guide.
Solutions for Other Errors
Several different errors could appear when trying to connect to the Hypixel Server. These could be issues on our side or your side, so be sure to try all solutions.
Internal Exception: io.netty.handler.timeout.ReadTimeOutException
- See general solutions.
- This is a generic issue that comes up when trying to connect to any Minecraft server. It means that Minecraft doesn't quite know what is happening. start by doing the generic solutions above.
Internal Exception: java.net.SocketException: Connection Reset
- Restart/Unplug and reconnect your router.
- If the issue persists after doing this, please contact your Internet provider.
- Run the latest version of Java.
java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: no further information
- Contact Hypixel Support.
- Send an MTR to the Hypixel Server Bug Report section.
Internal Exception: java.io.IOException: an existing connection was forcibly closed by a remote host
- Follow the general solutions or wait for approximately an hour.
- This is an issue with pinging the server, which can fix itself over time.
- If issue persists, run an MTR and submit to the Hypixel Server Bug Report section.
Additional Errors not mentioned
- First, try the general solutions.
- If issue persists, contact Hypixel Support or submit a MTR to the Hypixel Server Bug Report section.
General Solutions for Lag Issues
There are two different ways of lagging, the first is FPS (frames per second) and the second is Ping. FPS is the when your client doesn't render the game quickly. A standard FPS can be 60 FPS or higher, lower can result in bad gameplay. Ping is a connectivity issue when you can't receive the game's information quickly - such as when you join a game and it takes a long time to load.
- Closing applications using lots of CPU
- High CPU usage is bad for your FPS. You can start to fix this by going to your Task Manager and closing any applications not being used and taking up a lot of CPU. To get to your Task Manager, hit CTRL + ALT + Delete and hit Task Manager
- Lower graphic settings on Minecraft Client
- In your Minecraft Options, go to Video Settings. Set your Settings to the following to have the lowest graphic settings in Minecraft.
- Toggling blood, particles, and players in lobbies on the Hypixel Server
- In this guide, you can see how to edit Settings and Visbility on the Hypixel Server.
- Making your Minecraft window smaller
- Turning down sounds
- Turning off any slideshow desktops
- Check your computer for updates
- Check your computer for malware
- Closing websites and internet browsers while playing
- See connectivity solutions for more help.
- Including restarting various things and flushing your DNS
- Close Skype - Use TeamSpeak or Discord instead
- Pause downloads
- Contact your internet service provider for more help
- Use an ethernet cord or be close to your router